[freenet-dev] Freenet 0.7.5 build 1413

Matthew Toseland toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 12 13:46:03 BST 2012

On Wednesday 12 Sep 2012 12:55:55 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> Freenet 0.7.5 build 1412 is now available. Please upgrade! It will be mandatory on the 18th, due to some minor security fixes. This is a major build including many changes:
> - Request level fixes, partly to make the traceback attack more difficult.
> - Many small fproxy and web interface fixes plus a 5MB limit rather than 2MB (separately configurable) when fproxy is showing a progress bar, and improvements to the too-old alerts.
> - Various internal changes including to tracking the status of peers, some minor connection-level changes, cleanups, removing old code etc.
> - Node to node text message fixes.
> - Content filter: Always show the MIME type warning if we have both that and the too big warning. Then when the user accepts it they won't see the other warning. Also treat image/x-png as png.
> - Client layer fix related to losing the data checksums.
> - WebOfTrust 12.
> - Turn off defrag on startup for now. This means your node.db4o will grow. But it may reduce the corruption problems.
> - Minor memory limit config fix.
> - Allow scope identifiers in IPv6 addresses.
> - Various probe request fixes.

1413 is now available. Please upgrade to 1413 and not 1412. Due to a mistake on my part 1412 included some, but not all, of the recent work on the datastore. I had thought it didn't include any of it. So nodes with "shrink on startup" enabled could break and be unable to start if a shrink happened to be in progress. This is fixed in 1413.
Changes (including parts in 1412 not mentioned in the previous changelog):
- Significant disk I/O optimisation to the datastore: The datastore slot filters (*.slotfilter), tiny files that help the store to check whether we have a particular key and where to put it if we don't, are now written every 5 minutes (configurable) rather than immediately on a write. This saves approximately one seek per written block, which could be several seeks per second. The writes every 5 minutes should not be disruptive, but please let me know if disk I/O appears to be heavier or lighter with this build.
- Minor changes to a couple of strings related to darknet.
- Add some comments to clarify the code.

Sorry!